Sunday, October 26, 2008

People Of Faith

Do you believe in God? Are you a Christian? Exactly what do you believe in?
If you are a person of faith, you are constantly at odds over the belief system of others. In fact, some things probably turn your stomach.
I don't know many atheists (at least I don't think I do), and that's probably a good thing. It's not that I would not like them, but there is a serious fundamental difference in the way I think and what guides me compared to the way they think. I'll be honest, it would be a big hurdle for me to get over.
A group of atheists is launching a new advertising campaign in London, England. The fact there doesn't seem to be much backlash is strange, but does not surprise me for Europe is becoming more and more secular.
Europe has become a hotbed for humanists, or people who reject religious beliefs and center more on humans and their values, capacities, and worth.
I guess it's a bit of "Be Your Own God."
Anyhow, back to the ad campaign these atheists and humanists are launching. On 30 buses around London, there will be a news slogan: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."
The reason: nonbelievers are fighting what they say is the preferential treatment given to religion in British society.
Wow!
I really thought since humans have been believing in a higher power forever, nonbelievers would be used to being treated a little different.
I also think it's strange how they say, "There's probably no God." I would have thought they would say, "There is definitely no God."
Comedy writer Ariane Sherine, who started the campaign, said she came up with the idea after visiting a Web site saying nonbelievers would spend eternity in hell.
I think the joke is on her.
Those of different faiths have had a pretty tame reaction to the group's new campaign. They claim it will end up getting more people to church.
"It tells people to 'stop worrying,' which is hardly going to be a great comfort for those who are concerned about losing jobs or homes in the recession," said Theos director Paul Woolley. "Stunts like this demonstrate how militant atheists are often great adverts for Christianity."
Stunts like this make me feel a little sorry for those nonbelievers. Then again, I'm just some crazy guy living in the sticks clinging to my religion and my gun!

Copyright Christopher Blackburn 2008

No comments: